Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Aid (Operations) and working closely with the management staff, the incumbent will be the main point of contact for other compliance and audit staff members; be responsible for utilizing their knowledge of federal and state regulations and institutional policies and procedures to ensure accurate awarding of federal, state and institutional funds; acting as a resource regarding changes to federal, state, institutional and departmental policies; and contributing to the effectiveness of information disseminated to staff and students. This individual will assist the Associate Director when making recommendations regarding the improvement of our processes based on regulatory changes and best practices.
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation (around $50,000) and has over 4 weeks of vacation for regular full time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2021 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available for Maryland residents.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Complete Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculations per federal regulations to ensure the institution remains in compliance.
- Reconciliation of the Direct Loan and Pell accounts to ensure the institution remains in compliance with federal standards. Resolve issues with loan and Pell transmissions. Work with office of Contracts and Grants Accounting (OCGA) for reconciliation between COD,PS and G5.
- Performing quality assurance reviews of student fin aid and scholarship files to ensure that the correct procedures were followed when the file was processed. Utilizing knowledge of federal, state and institutional regulations/policies and procedures to make decisions that could affect a student's financial aid eligibility.
- Serve as unit lead and main point of contact for other compliance and audit staff.
- Compiling, editing and maintaining the department's policy and procedures (P&P) manual and business process guides. Regularly monitor the department's Business Continuity Dashboard to ensure that it contains current information. Update P&P manual in NASFAA with any edits.
- Review federal registers, Dear Colleague Letters, announcements and other financial aid resources for policy changes and updates. Disseminate information to staff; make recommendations that could enhance our processing procedures.
- Create DocuSign forms as needed for the department.
- Serve as a member of the Audit and Compliance Workgroup. give updates on QA metrics and Audits; make recommendations for improvement.
- Annual setup for R2T4 and COD.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree required
- At least two years of experience within a financial aid office performing various duties
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail is required
||In addition, the successful candidate will have the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment and be able to evaluate and assess areas of conflict and coordinate resolution. Computer proficiency, experience performing R2T4 calculations and knowledge of the Pell reconciliation process is preferred. Experience with PeopleSoft is preferred.
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
||Open Until Filled
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
||Salary around $50,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.