Within the Division of Student Affairs, the Career Center is recognized as a valued partner across campus with exemplary student and employer engagement along with strong first destination career outcomes for our graduates. We value diverse perspectives and are actively committed to creating a culture of inclusion and respect.
The Program Director for Workforce Initiatives has primary responsibility to lead and manage two state-wide initiatives, the Maryland Technology Internship Program (MTIP) along with the internship component for the Maryland Institute for Innovative Computing (MIIC). Between both programs, the Program Director for Workforce Initiatives supports up to 300 interns per year within 150 unique organizations.
These programs help Maryland retain top tech talent by increasing the number of paid technical internships offered in the state. Administered by UMBC and funded by the State of Maryland, the programs offer financial assistance to technology-based businesses, as well as state and local agencies, to hire more interns.
Additionally, the Program Director leads the social media strategy for both initiatives along with the Career Center overall. Specifically, the Program Director handles communications across three primary platforms (Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn). This work includes strategizing marketing campaigns and best use of each platform, oversight of actual postings, conducting communication meetings, and managing a paraprofessional student intern's professional development.
Reporting to the Director of the UMBC Career Center, the Program Director for Workforce Initiatives builds relationships with Maryland businesses, government agencies and universities; markets and promotes the MTIP and MIIC intern initiatives; develops high-quality orientation programming for employers; and manages budgets and tracks program outcomes.
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role starts at a salary range of $75,000 and has over 4 weeks of vacation for regular full time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2021 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee industry outreach and engagement to intern on-boarding and processing of employer reimbursements and subsidy payments each semester.
- Support up to 300 interns per year within 150 unique organizations across the state.
- Communicate with employer applicants regarding eligibility and process.
- Create and deliver employer onboarding presentations, webinars and continuing education around internship best practices.
- Regularly collect and share program data with all relevant constituencies.
- Manage and maintain a strong fiscally responsible budget up to $500,000 per fiscal year and the disbursement of subsidy and reimbursement funds to employers resulting in maximum intern hires within budget.
- Support legislative initiatives to grow workforce development across the state of Maryland during the legislative session each year.
- Present and participate in workforce development programming, networking events, discussions, industry events to offer perspectives and innovative ways to connect industry to students in STEM.
- Use creative writing and social media to recognize and showcase the Career Center and MTIP/MIIC internally and externally.
- Connect the UMBC Career Center team and relevant programs with employer and industry connections where needed.
This position will require occasional travel and evening hours for program and/or networking events.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years of successful experience working in higher education, HR/talent acquisition, corporate relations, economic/workforce development or a related field with strong partnership development and program management experience
- Exceptional follow through, communication and relationship-building skills
- Proven skills presenting to and communicating with individuals at all levels, from students to CEOs
- Collaborative work style but also enjoys working independently with a high level of professionalism and diplomacy
- Interest in growing social media or brand awareness around programs
- Technical skills working in systems like Handshake, Canva, Excel, Google Sheets and Sites
- Budget management experience, strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work efficiently to accomplish goals and process applications and subsidy funds to employers
- Ability to collect and analyze data to show impact and improve processes
- Commitment to UMBC’s vision and culture of inclusive excellence, social responsibility and lifelong learning
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
||Salary range starts at $75,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.