Columbus Center Facilities
The Columbus Center is seeking a Facilities Manager to provide oversight of physical plant operations and building operations as well as maintenance services of complex central facilities systems and scientific equipment throughout the Columbus Center.
Specific duties include:
- Providing for proper operation and maintenance of the Columbus Center in concert with the Columbus Center Director of Facilities and assisting with the development and procurement of all maintenance and service contracts
- Assisting with the management of all maintenance and service contracts to include providing daily direction, inspecting work, resolving conflicts, recommending necessary contract changes, approving invoices and performing contract performance reviews
- Reviewing with Director of Facilities, the proper building operational status and any issues affecting proper building operation and assisting in the development of strategies to correct operational deficiencies
- Developing and maintaining a preventive maintenance schedule for all equipment; reviewing or recommending repair solutions; overseeing price proposals and repair efforts; and ensuring regulator required equipment inspections occur on time and issues are resolved quickly
- Assisting in the development of performance specifications for the building and directing contractors and tenants to meet those specifications
- Managing Columbus Center parking to include resolving parking related issues for tenant, contractors and visitors
- Assisting the Director of Facilities with development and oversight of operations and maintenance budgets and developing and maintaining a prioritized list of repair and renovation needs
- Assisting with the management of all facilities renovations to include: assisting tenants with coordination of tenant build out efforts; providing input and reviewing for all requested changes; assisting with scope development and any required negotiations; and managing all painting, carpeting and general maintenance improvements
- Providing recommendations regarding completing renovation work in house or with the assistance of contractors, providing oversight of all renovation work and assisting with the procurement/purchase of new equipment and renovations
- Liaising with utility providers as needed to resolve service or billing issues
- Ensuring labs remain in compliance with environmental health and safety regulations and scheduling/providing training as necessary
- Managing IMET's hazardous waste removal and maintaining knowledge of chemical inventories in the labs
- Assisting with establishing and enforcing policies and procedures related to building operations and equipment
- Providing for the repair and maintenance of IMET scientific equipment as well as oversight of capital and sensitive inventories for IMET and the Columbus Center Administration functions in the building
- Overseeing or physically assisting with the installation or relocation of high-end scientific equipment; may be called upon to assist with in-house fabrications to aide ongoing work
- Responding to afterhours emergencies as needed
- Other duties as assigned
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Program Management, Construction Management, Contract Management or a related field plus a minimum of six years of experience in facilities operations. Note: The requirement for a Bachelor's Degree can be substituted with a minimum of 10 years of demonstrable facilities operations experience.
- This job is considered essential and must be able to respond to afterhour emergencies.
- Experience with Lenel On-Guard suite of access control system products
- Experience with Simplex ES fire alarm systems
- Experience with MicroMain maintenance and asset management software
- Experience with University electronic purchasing program
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter with salary requirement, resume and contact information for three professional references.
|Screening of Applications Begins:
||For best consideration submit application materials by October 30, 2021 (applications will be accepted until the position is filled).
||Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
||The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMBC, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMBC, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required at the start of employment. Further information is available at: https://covid19.umbc.edu/vaccine/
UMBC offers a benefits package for regular and grant-funded regular employees including generous leave, excellent health, life, and disability insurance, retirement plans, tuition remission, on-site preschool, and numerous professional development and wellness opportunities. Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Please note the Type and FLSA Status above to determine the benefits offered for this position.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.