Division of Information Technology, Business Systems Group
The Business Systems Group (BSG) within the University's Division of Information Technology supports the enterprise solutions of the university, including the Student Administration, Finance, Human Resources, Data Warehouse, Document Imaging, Electronic Signatures and Request Tracker (RT) Ticket systems.
BSG is responsible for development of new and improved campus business practices and the support of core enterprise solutions that are critical to the University’s strategic plan and institutional mission.
The Business Applications Developer will work in the Business Applications Group to develop and support enhancements, fixes and interfaces within administrative systems used by campus faculty, staff and students. This position analyzes complex problems under tight time constraints to rectify or verify the integrity of application systems, and all interfaces to and from the HR and Finance systems.
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation and along with over 4 weeks of vacation for regular full time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2021 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
The Business Applications Developer (Specialist) is responsible for the technical design, development and testing of modifications to packaged software and/or custom solutions to support specific business needs. The position works closely with key users as part of the administrative systems development team to assess business needs and implement IT solutions.
Specific duties include:
- Performs analysis, conceptual design, development (coding) and implementation of modifications to purchased applications or custom programs to enhance function.
- Responsible for the technical design, development oversight and delivery of various PeopleSoft application development components, including reports, fixes, interfaces, conversions, and implementation of custom solutions.
- Gain sufficient understanding of various IT applications to translate functional designs into technical approaches.
- Creates, updates and edits interface design documents and solutions to satisfy data requirements. Develops, tests and implements into production interfaces that may include creating and consuming web services including REST and/or SOAP, file transfers, etc.
- Conducts Unit testing and resolves issues found in testing as well as provides post-production ongoing support.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- One year of developer experience
- Ability to manage time effectively, working both independently and as part of a team
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills and adapting to a dynamic environment
Note: Additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM, Financials 9.0+
- Experience planning, coordinating and executing application bug fixes, updates and enhancements for ERP business applications
- Ability to deliver results in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
- Experience with PeopleTools 8.5X or higher
- Two or more years of developer experience with Oracle databases and structured query language (SQL)
- Experience with creating and consuming Web Services including REST and/or SOAP
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
||This position will remain open until filled.
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
||Salary starts at $96,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.