Job no: 494340
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: UMBC Campus
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Business/Accounting/Finance
Financial Services, Office of Contract & Grants
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the overall post-award financial coordination and management of assigned externally funded grants and contracts, including accounting, reporting and closeout functions.
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role starts at $68,000 and has over 4 weeks of vacation for regular full time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2023 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with the Office of Sponsored Projects in reviewing and interpreting award documents to ensure award setup is complete in PeopleSoft, and providing notification to campus units of award information
- Maintaining proper invoicing/payment and timely financial reporting of assigned sponsored awards
- Assisting with ensuring expenditure compliance
- Coordinating with departmental and central unit personnel to complete the financial closeout function of sponsored awards
- Participating in training and development involving a variety of sponsored post-award financial administration activities
- Developing an understanding of the Office of Contract & Grant Accounting (OCGA) areas of responsibilities and becoming familiar with how the department works with other central offices in relation to these responsibilities
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or a related field
- Three years of related experience, including full working knowledge of general accounting practices and procedures
- Critical thinking skills and keen attention to detail
- Advanced organizational skills demonstrated by the ability to prioritize tasks and work well under the pressure of deadlines
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- One year experience in Research Administration Accounting
- Basic working knowledge of federal regulations, including Uniform Guidance and the FARs
- Experience in both Central and Departmental administration of Sponsored Research activities
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
|Open Until Filled
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
|Salary starts at $68,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
|UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
|As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
|As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend