The Hilltop Institute
The Hilltop Institute at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Business Services Specialist to join its Business Office team. Hilltop is a non-partisan health research organization that conducts research and policy analysis funded by contracts with government agencies, foundations, and nonprofit organizations at the national, state, and local levels. Hilltop is seeking team members with a passion for our mission to advance the health and wellbeing of vulnerable populations.
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role and has 11 days of vacation as well as winter break, spring break, and personal days for regular full-time roles. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2023 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
Under the general supervision of the Business Manager, the incumbent will exercise judgment, quality, and internal controls in performing activities essential to business management services. These include human resources, accounts payable, purchasing, travel, reconciliations support, journal transfers, payroll, and time-entry. The incumbent will keep abreast of online UMBC Policies and Procedures in conjunction with UMBC central administration offices to ensure Hilltop’s compliance with sponsor requirements and state legislative audits.
Specific responsibilities include:
Purchasing, Accounts Payable:
- Initiating internal approvals and executing new requisitions through UMBC’s Procurement System
- Resolving vendor questions/issues
- Submitting software purchases, contracts, and renewal requests through UMBC’s process for compliance with security, technical, procurement, and legal policies
- Processing and reconciling credit card purchases
- Coordinate and process human resources functions related to hiring, position management, and payroll.
- Initiating internal onboarding/offboarding processes for Hilltop employees
- Entering online employee cost allocations to PeopleSoft
- Updating new employee time sheet information
- Entering PeopleSoft payroll into Hilltop’s shadow system and reconciling year-to-date totals
- Reviewing and acknowledging manual leave adjustments per legislative audit requirements
- Processing bi-weekly time entry
Coordinating UMBC travel requests
Performing other duties as assigned
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
Requires a High School Diploma or GED and six years of progressively responsible experience in a combination of budgeting, accounting, payroll, purchasing, and personnel work.
Note: Additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
- Associate Degree or higher in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Health, or related discipline.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations, perform accurate data entry, and organize, prioritize, and execute a variety of assignments.
- Ability to understand and interpret University policies and procedures in the areas of finance, human resources, payroll, and purchasing.
- Ability to provide outstanding service to internal and external clients and communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively carry out duties using PeopleSoft and other computer applications.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
- The ideal candidate will also be a team player and efficient worker who exercises good judgment, eagerly accepts new challenges, embraces new technologies, and seeks to grow professionally.
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and resume
|Open Until Filled
UMBC offers a rich benefits package including the following for nonexempt regular employees.
Generous Leave which includes accruing the following for full time positions:
- 11 Days of Annual Leave (increases with years of service)
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement/Pension plan
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
Pay Range 11 based on the University System of Maryland Pay Program
|Note: This is a grant-funded position wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
|UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
|As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
|As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.