The UMBC Career Center, within the Division of Student Affairs, aims to empower all students and graduates to create their own success stories. We work with students at every academic level, from first-year students to graduate students. The Career Center is recognized as a valued partner across campus with exemplary student and employer engagement. Our services include virtual and in-person career advising and counseling, networking and recruitment events, career and professional skills education and applied learning opportunities (internships, co-ops and research).
We value diverse perspectives and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect.
The Associate Director oversees an Employer Relations team that strategically cultivates and manages employer connections to ensure a diverse array of meaningful employment and internship opportunities. The team coordinates both large- and small-scale, virtual and in-person events that annually serve over 400 employers and over 6,000 unique students/alumni, and generates significant operating revenue for the Center.
Reporting to the Director, and serving as a key member of the Career Center’s senior leadership team, the Associate Director supports the overall management of the Center. They are responsible for staying abreast of the latest trends and practices in recruiting and hiring, including a focus on DEI, as well as ensuring goals, plans, budgets and schedules are met.
Key areas of oversight include:
Leadership & Management
Reporting & Analysis
Career Management Systems & Website
|Why Work at UMBC?
UMBC offers competitive compensation. This role starts at a salary range of $83,000 and has over 4 weeks of vacation. Tuition remission is also available.
What is it like to work at UMBC? Check out Glassdoor or Indeed. And read about our recent award, UMBC is a 2021 Great College to Work for…. In every category.
A hybrid telework schedule may be available.
- Provide supervision and professional development for a team of employer relations professionals (Project Manager: IT, Web and Graphic Design along with an Assistant Director and Coordinator for Employer Relations and Recruitment Programs) and set the vision and strategy for proactive employer engagement to meet the needs of UMBC students.
- Draft an annual Career Center event calendar and collaboratively plan and oversee the successful execution of roughly 150 on-campus and virtual recruiting events each year, including information sessions and tables, interviews, career fairs and networking events to connect students with employers.
- Cultivate and secure participants in the Career Center's Employer Partnership Program, which generates funds to support the Center’s operating budget, and serve as the primary relationship manager for Employer Partners.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for employer engagement to build new relationships across a wide range of industries and fields. Guide employers in creating effective, customized recruitment strategies based on their company size, culture, and hiring goals.
- Coordinate the twice-yearly First Destination Survey, which collects information from graduating students, and work closely with the Director to collect appropriate data for departmental reporting.
- Oversee the campus career management system, Handshake – provide guidance, training, and support to professional staff, students, and employers utilizing the system; Execute and support day-to-day employer relations efforts including employer vetting, managing internship and job postings, and facilitating greater and equitable student access to opportunities.
This position will require occasional evening and weekend hours for employer and student/alumni events.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years successful experience in managing employer relationships and/or recruiting programs, preferably in a university/campus setting.
- Master's degree preferred
- Proven record of developing and leading teams, managing performance and productivity, and strategic planning
- Exceptional follow through, communication and relationship-building skills
- Experience in program/event planning and execution, group facilitation and engagement, and advising college students and alumni
- Experience working with historically marginalized populations, and a deep commitment to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to collect and analyze data to inform decisions and plan
- Experience using career office management software, preferably Handshake
|Background Screening Statement:
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Upload a cover letter and a resume.
||Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
UMBC offers a rich benefits package.
Regular and grant funded regular positions (Full benefits summary click here):
Generous Leave which includes accruing:
- 22 Days of Annual Leave
- 15 Days of Sick Leave
- 15 Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 8 credit hours per semester
- Tuition remission at UMBC for eligible dependents after two years of FT employment
- Life and disability insurance
- Retirement plans (including the choice of joining the pension plan)
- Professional development opportunities
- Wellness opportunities
- & Much more
Contingent II positions may include some benefits.
Benefits offered align with type (Regular, Contingent II, etc.) of position.
||Salary range starts at $83,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
| Equal Opportunity Statement:
||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
||As an institution that receives federal financial assistance, UMBC adheres to Title IX and does not discriminate on the basis of sex. For more information about Title IX and contact information for Title IX Coordinator click here.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 410-455-2337 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.